Domestic and Commercial Electrical Work Tel: 07415 669217
Domestic and Commercial Electrical Work         Tel: 07415 669217

What is Part P and Do I Need To Use A Part-P Contractor?

Part P is one of the Parts of the Building Regulations and relates to the Electrical Safety Regulations.


It came into effect on the 1st January 2005 and places a legal requirement upon persons carrying out electrical installation work in dwellings. For most electrical installation works you will need a Part P approved contractor to comply with Electrical Safety Regulations.


Most accidents in the home are due to electrical faults, misuse of equipment and overloaded circuits. But there are still a high number of accidents that are caused by poor "cowboy" workmanship or DIYers.


This is why Part-P was introduced  to make harder for “cowboy” traders to undertake the electrical installations and why householders should always use a registered contractor. Part-P aim is to reduce the number of deaths, injuries and fires caused by faulty electrical installations. It also introduced self-certification schemes such as ELECSA who have assessed me - Andrejs Fribuss, as a “competent person” to the highest industry standards.


I’m proud to be registered and you can found me on the Registered Competent Person Electrical website. All full scope of Part P registered Electricians in England and Wales can be found at, and it's made easier than ever before.


As a property owner you should be aware of your legal responsibilities when having any electrical work completed within your house and it's adjacent buildings or the land. To meet these responsibilities under the Building Regulations certain works (known as notifiable works) has to be notified to your local authority Building Control department. Failure to do so could land you in a lot of trouble as you can be prosecuted and could face a fine of up to £5,000.00. If the work is not up to the current standard you legally will have to put it right at an additional cost (to you).

Examples of Notifiable Work:


  • House rewire and new circuits
  • Work returning to the consumer unit
  • Work done in a kitchen or bathroom
  • Work done outside the fabric of the house ( permanent garden lights, power to sheds and remote garages)
  • Ceiling or under floor heating
  • Electrics in or near swimming pools, saunas and spas

Using me as your electrical contractor means that all work will be carried out by a trusted and competent professional electrician and to the current standards. By choosing me as your electrician you can be assured that I will notify the relevant local authority on your behalf when the work is completed.


How it works:


    Work completed and full payment made to Smart Sparx Electrical Services.
    You will then receive an Electrical Installation Certificate in the post from me. You need to keep this document.

    I then notify ELECSA of the work completed, when and where it was done.  

ELECSA then notify the local authority and send you a Building Compliance Certificate. You will need to keep this Certificate for a later date for example: when selling your house.

Electrical Safety


Electrical installation work should only be carried out by someone who is competent. It's easy to make an electrical circuit work - it's far harder to make the circuit work safely.

Latest Tips & Advice


Choosing an Electrician

The thought of having electrical work carried out in your home can be daunting, especially if you have to put your trust in an electrician you have never used before.

Part P of the Building Regulations and how it affects you


Since 2005 any electrical installation work carried out in homes must by law meet Part P of the Building Regulations

RCDs Explaned

Since July 2008 virtually all new or altered circuits in homes must have RCD protection.


Periodic Inspection Reports Explained


If you haven’t had your home's wiring tested in the last 10 years, it may be time for a Periodic Inspection Report